Tuesday, July 20, 2010

be not afraid of their words, nor be dismayed at their looks, though they be a rebellious house

When I am listening to a song that I find to be greatly emotionally affecting, especially when I'm in a mood predisposed to somber reflection and daytime drinking, sometimes I can feel my brain tingle and it is like sadness itself has manifested on my lobes.

The Black Keys are one of my favorite bands, even though I've only investigated Rubber Factory thoroughly and Brothers a tiniest bit. On Rubber Factory there is a song called The Lengths and it is starting to creep on my neurological pathways.

I get into strange states of mind every day or two where I feel compelled to make up songs, use funny voices, and have conversations with made-up characters out loud. This usually happens when I am very excited and I am driving a car, and the reactions I receive from people are hilarious and various.

When I start to get edgy, people just don't know how to react, and then they go into one of three states. Some are simply annoyed, because they don't find humor in my songs or they just don't understand why I'm using funny voices and saying strange things. Some people laugh and enjoy the festive atmosphere and break from normalcy, which is refreshing and usually makes me want to abandon the wheel of my car, kiss them on the mouth, then maybe jump out the window as I let the car pile into a stone wall or off a cliff or into a bus full of schoolchildren. And some people get a sense of the feeling from last sentence, and they get very scared. They don't understand what I'm talking about, what songs I'm singing, and why I'm using funny voices. I really don't help these people because their discomfort can have great comedic value, so usually when they try to get me to speak normally I will make up a name and character and talk to them in a voice as that person. I don't understand why more people don't want to be friends with Morton, a lonely spirit that I act as a conduit for now and again. He has some digestive problems and he isn't so sure about how to best put together his sentences, but the people he meets need to give him a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment